In the same way that going to school doesn't automatically make you a scholar , going to the gym doesn't make you an overall healthy person. While going to the gym is a worthwhile step on the path to a healthier you, when you get there, you need to make sure you get the most out of your time. When it comes to healthy living, here are ways that you may be deceiving yourself:
· Many people exercise for an hour every day and call themselves fit. But, if they snack on unhealthy foods or laze on the couch all evening the hour they've spend in the gym will not balance the remaining 23. As we have stated in a previous blog, you cannot out exercise a bad diet. Just exercisingisn’t the silver bullet to cure all ills. It should be viewed as a lifestyle change, the start of a healthy lifestyle rather than something you've added to your schedule three times a week in order to tick a box.
· Research has shown that with more sedentary lifestyles, it's easy to overestimate your workout intensity. But, the thing is, workout intensity is what leads to results and so it is important to track your progress from run times to weights lifted to ensure that you are progressing your intensity.
· People automatically look for a quick fix solution, that latest craze that has "doctors amazed". Overdosing on the latest craze workout routine or diet trying to get back in shape won't lead to the result you want, it'll end up being a fad and will be dropped just as fast as it appeared leaving you frustrated and annoyed.
· Do you sometimes skip post-exercise nutrition because you don’t want to undo the calories you just worked so hard to burn? How would you react if I said "after you exercise, eat more" especially if you want to look lean, increase your energy levels and recover faster, then eat more, more protein and more carbohydrates within 30 minutes of working out and reap the rewards.
· It doesn't matter how many marathons you run or weights you lift, if you are not doing these exercises properly you gain nothing. learn to walk properly before you run, learn to lift a light weight before you lift your body weight!
· When you exercise alone, you tend not to be as tough on yourself. By exercising with a partnerit not only keeps you accountable, they can also help you clock more time at the gym and workout with more intensity. Surveys have shown that those who exercise with others tend to train six minutes longer and burn an extra 41 calories per session compared to those who exercise alone.
Time is precious, so use it wisely